Aside from the ever popular mojo criollo, nothing says “Cuban barbecue” better than the delicious guava barbecue sauce. It’s not only a favorite in the Latin American region but also in parts of the United States such as Miami. So just to recap, the mojo criollo is a concoction of orange or lime juice and several herbs and spices. The guava barbecue sauce, meanwhile, is a combination of the tanginess and sweetness of guava paste and other ingredients. Its luscious fruity goodness is perfect for ribs, ham and poultry such as chicken, turkey and duck. If you haven’t tried it on your La Caja China barbecues, here’s a recipe you can follow.
* 1 cup guava paste
* 1 cup cold water
* ¼ cup tomato paste
* 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
* ¼ cup dark rum
* ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
* 2 tablespoons onion, minced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons ketchup
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* ¼ chili pepper, minced
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Get a saucepan and combine your ingredients: guava paste, cup of water, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, dark rum, lemon juice, ginger root, onion, garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and chili pepper.
2. Let the mixture simmer over medium-high heat. Whisk it until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
3. Season your sauce with salt and pepper then lower the heat to medium-low. Give the sauce another 10 to 15 minutes again to let it simmer and thicken.
4. After the allotted time, check your sauce. It should still be pourable. If it has thickened way too much, pour some water.
5. Transfer to a bowl or a jar for storage or immediate use. You can serve this either cold or hot. Brush it on your meat as it is being grilled or use it as a dipping sauce. Any will do because it is so delicious!
We hope that you’ll love this homemade barbecue sauce recipe we shared today. Also check out our mojo criollo barbecue recipes, try our famous adobo seasoning or go Wild, Wild West with this Texas barbecue recipe. And remember, to serve the tastiest barbecue dishes, only use the best barbecue grill in town! Get your La Caja China now! Visit our website to place your order or call us at 1-800-338-1323!
Discover the best accessories and spices for your La Caja China! Watch our video now.