Roasting a whole pig is easy especially if you’ll use your La Caja China! What most of our customers ask us though is the right way to season and marinate the pig. Well, that’s pretty simple, too. What matters is that the marinade and rub you’ll choose are indeed delicious to ensure that the roast ends up utterly satisfying. Here are some tips you should definitely follow.
1. Choose the perfect seasoning and marinade for your pig. While you’ll depend on your taste and preference when making that choice, you’ll find that there are indeed a lot of flavorful ingredients that you can play with. For instance, if you want the pig to have a Cuban twist to it, we recommend using a good mojo sauce and adobo rub.
2. Remember that you have to prepare enough marinade and seasoning to cover the entire pig. We suggest making a marinade using these ingredients if you want a Cuban mojo sauce:
* 8 ounces lemon juice
* 16 ounces pineapple juice
* 24 ounces orange juice
* 16 ounces water
* 16 teaspoons salt
* 4 tablespoons oregano
* 4 garlic bulbs
* 4 teaspoons cumin
* 4 tablespoons bay leaves
3. Always inject your marinade to infuse the flavors into the meat. Inject on the pig’s shoulders and hams liberally but be careful not to make too many holes in it.
4. When you’re done injecting the mojo sauce, you have to turn the pig over and apply the sauce on its skin, too. Rub the pig skin with the adobo seasoning afterwards to make it tastier.
5. If you’re using sweet ingredients in your marinade or seasoning, make sure that you’ll apply it when the pig is almost done. You can also put the sweet ingredients inside the pig instead of applying them on the skin. If you leave the sweet marinade in the heat for too long, it will eventually burn and give your pig a bitter taste.
6. Never ditch the rub. Some people miss this part and just go with the marinade solely. If you want to impress your loved ones and friends with your pig roast, take the time to rub it with a great seasoning. To make sure that the herbs and spices will stick to the pig, you should apply the sauce first followed by the rub. On the other hand, other barbecue lovers apply yellow mustard instead.
We hope that you’ll follow these tips on how to season a whole pig for roasting. Check out our blog page to get the best Cuban mojo recipe; acquire tips on how to bbq a pig and learn the importance of using a pig thermometer. And remember, to serve the tastiest pig roasts, only use the best barbecue grill in town! Visit our website or call us at 1-800-338-1323 to get your La Caja China now.
Are you a first-time user of our amazing roasting box? Watch our video to learn time-saving tips for your backyard barbecue!