Give your Sunday dinner a little twist by cooking lamb instead of the common pork, beef and chicken dishes you always serve to your loved ones. While there aren’t so many fans of this type of meat, you should know that aside from its tastiness, lamb is also healthy. It’s a great source of high-quality protein, iron, zinc and B vitamins, among many other minerals. Lamb is usually available in five different cuts namely: shoulder, shank, breast, leg and loin. So if you’re ready to try another savory barbecue dish in your La Caja China, read on and follow this recipe!
What You’ll Need:
* 5 pounds leg of lamb, whole
* 1 teaspoon sea salt, coarse
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon lemon zest
* 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
* 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
* 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
* ¼ cup honey
1. Get a small mixing bowl and combine the garlic, lemon zest, black pepper, rosemary, mustard and honey. Mix them all together to distribute the flavors evenly. Apply the mixture to the lamb, massaging the meat a little bit. Cover the bowl and marinate the lamb in your refrigerator. For best results, leave it there overnight.
2. Take the meat out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Sprinkle the meat with the sea salt that you prepared to give it a little saltiness.
3. Prep up your La Caja China roasting box. Place the meat in between the racks and secure it using the 4 S-hooks that came with your unit.
4. Position the racks inside the box, ribs facing down. Attach the wired thermometer probe on the lamb leg. Don’t touch its bone because it will give you incorrect temp readings and result to overcooking your roast.
5. Cover your La Caja China with its ash pan and charcoal grid. If you’re using Model #1, add 16 pounds of charcoal. If you’re using Model #2, use 18 pounds. Light the coals up and in 20 to 25 minutes, they should all be lit. This should be your cooking time. Write it down so you won’t forget.
6. Once an hour has passed, open the box and turn the lamb on its other side. The ribs should now be facing up. Close the box and add 9 pounds of charcoal on the grid.
7. After 1 hour, add 9 pounds of charcoal again. Let the lamb sit there until it reaches your desired temperature. If you want it rare, it should reach 140 degrees Fahrenheit. For medium rare, it should reach 145 degrees Fahrenheit. For medium, it should reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit. And if you want it well-done, it should reach 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
We hope that you’ll love this lamb roast recipe! For the best tasting grilled dishes, don’t forget to get the best bbq grill, best bbq smokers, bbq grill accessories and grill replacement parts of La Caja China! You can visit our website or call us at 1-800-338-1323! We’ll be happy to assist you!
Are you a first-time La Caja China user? Watch our video now to get some time-saving tips when barbecuing!