We’ve been writing about seafood, fish and chicken these past few days that we feel like you’re already missing out on pork. So we’re back today, excited more than ever, to share with you an amazing recipe that you should try on your La Caja China. Let’s see. What pork cut have we not talked about? Aha! How about some grilled pork belly?! Now don’t get scared about the calories. You can still enjoy this grilled treat and stay healthy. All you have to do is eat in moderation. So let’s get started!
For The Meat
* 2 slabs of pork belly (half a kilogram each)
* 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
* Kosher salt to taste
* vegetable oil
For The Sauce
* 1 teaspoon mustard powder
* 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
* 6 tablespoons oyster sauce
* 1 cup apple juice
* 2 cups ketchup
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 4 teaspoons minced ginger, peeled
* 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 large onions, diced
* 2 tablespoons veggie oil
1. Prep your pork belly. Combine the brown sugar and 4 teaspoons of salt in a mixing bowl. Rub the mixture on your meat, making sure that no spot is missed. Cover your pork belly with a plastic wrap and let it stay in the fridge for four hours minimum. For best results, let it stay there overnight.
2. Create your barbecue sauce. Get a large saucepan and turn the fire on to medium. Pour the vegetable oil into the pan and let it heat up. Now sauté your onion and let it cook for about five minutes to caramelize. Now add your ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Remember to stir while sautéing for two minutes. Pour in the apple juice, oyster sauce, ketchup, vinegar, half a teaspoon of Kosher salt and the mustard powder, too. Let the ingredients simmer as you stir it occasionally. After about 20 minutes, the sauce might have probably thickened or reduced. Let it cool for the next 15 minutes. When it’s already cool, pour the mixture into a blender and puree it until it is no longer coarse. Pour half of the mixture into a bowl and set it aside.
3. It’s grilling time. Remember to thaw your meat or remove it from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Prep your La Caja China. Place your coals on one side of the grid and light them all up. Remember to position the ash pan and dipping tray, too.
4. As the coals are lighting up, brush your grill grates with veggie oil.
5. When the coals are all lit up, place your pork belly on the cooler side of the grill. Let it cook for about two and a half hours while turning it occasionally and brushing with sauce. On the last hour of grilling, move the pork belly to the hotter side of your grill. Brush it with sauce until it is beautifully glazed and let it char a little for about 5 more minutes.
6. Once cooked, transfer the pork belly on a cutting board. Let it cool down for 20 minutes then slice and serve with your favorite sides.
We hope that you loved this pork belly recipe. Check out other equally delicious dishes on our blog such as our pork shoulder recipe, pulled pork menu and Texas brisket recipe. And to serve the best grilled treats to your loved ones, use the best barbecue grill and bbq accessories in town! Get your roasting box from La Caja China by visiting our website or calling us at 1-800-338-1323!
Get a 10% discount on your next La Caja China purchase. Watch our video to find out how.