If you think you can only serve roast turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas, you’re wrong. As long as you have your loved ones and friends in one occasion, you can cook up this delicious and popular holiday bird. And you can even use your La Caja China, too! Yes, you won’t even need your oven! If you’re so looking forward to an event this weekend, then it’s your lucky day! Here’s an easy-to-follow recipe for you!
* 1 fresh turkey, 10 to 12 pounds
* 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
* 1 Spanish onion, quartered
* 1 whole lemon, halved
* 1 large bunch fresh thyme
* freshly ground black pepper
* Kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
* 1 lemon, zested and juiced
* ¼ pound unsalted butter (1 stick)
1. Make your sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan. Add in your lemon zest and juice. Don’t forget to add in the chopped thyme leaves. Set the mixture aside.
2. Remove the turkey’s giblets and wash the bird inside and out. Get rid of excess fat as well as the remaining pinfeathers. Pat the outside to dry. Put the fowl inside a large roasting pan. Add your salt and pepper inside the turkey’s cavity. Stuff it with thyme, halved garlic, quartered onion and halved lemon. Brush the turkey with your butter mixture then finally sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Position your turkey on top of the La Caja China rack, breast down. If you’re going to cook it split, attached it to the rack with help of the 4 S-Hooks that came with your unit.
4. Pour 1 gallon of water into your drip tray. To add an extra oomp to your dish, you can pour beer or add herbs and spices into the water. If you want to make it really mouth-watering, we suggest using our La Caja China Mojo Criollo.
5. Once done, place the rack inside the box. Attach the probe of your wired thermometer by simply running it under the top frame (the short one).
6. Cover your La Caja China box with your ash pan and charcoal grid.
7. If you are using model #1, add 12 pounds of charcoal on the grid. If you’re using model #2, add 16 pounds. Light them all up. After about 20 to 25 minutes, they should all be lit. Spread them evenly on the grid and start your timer. It’s cooking time!
8. After one hour, detach your ash pan and charcoal grid from the box. Put them safely on top of the La Caja China’s long handles.
9. It’s time to flip your turkey over! Reposition your ash pan and charcoal grid then add another 5 pounds of charcoal. Keep adding coals until your thermometer reads 175 degrees Fahrenheit. If you still want to brush your turkey with sauce, only do so once the temp reaches 175. Cover for another 10 to 15 minutes to cook.
10. Get your turkey out of the roasting box. Let it cool down before carving. Serve and enjoy!
Try this roast turkey on your next family get-together and you’ll surely impress your mother! If you want other grilled dishes on your menu, check out our clam bake, Texas brisket, chicken barbecue and pork shoulder recipe, too! And to serve the most mouth-watering treats, don’t forget to use the best barbecue grill in town! Visit La Caja China’s website or call us at 1-800-338-1323!
Get a 10% discount on your next La Caja China purchase! Watch this video to learn how!